Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Week 9: Tasks/Assignments and Educational Implications


Week 9 – Tasks/Assignments and Educational Implications
In my internship, I am in charge of editing a large amount of raw video clips of long duration into smaller and shorter clips based on specific instructions given to me through excel spreadsheets. These excel spreadsheets contain the transcriptions of all of the clips within a certain project and have them organized into what they want the clips to be like based on theme, rating, and the duration of each clips. The finished products will often get uploaded to Vimeo for review from the heads of the QHS department. These people will then send their thoughts about my edits through email to German Chiriboga, who is my supervisor, and he will then further instruct me. Usually, I first start with using Premiere CS6 to do the basic edits of the raw video clips. Once this is done, I then take my edited footage to iMovie so that I can not only do minor edits like removing time codes and converting them to HD files but to organize each clip by interviewee. Once this is done, the new clips go into Encore, in which all of the clips will be further organized to be put in a DVD.
I have also started participating in the filming of the interviews and I have enjoyed it so far. Here I am responsible for setting up the camera and the microphone. I am also responsible for accommodating the interviewee, letting them know the purpose of the interview and asking the questions as clearly as possible. I like interviewing people not only because it is challenging, but because it poses more as a leadership position. This task is also challenging my abilities to formally speak to fellow students/researchers.
This internship has enabled me to continue with the practice of filming and editing videos that I started a few years ago in TV Production classes and Video Editing. Some of the new things that I have learned consist of using new programs, reading excel spreadsheets for video editing purposes, and utilizing a modern and professional film camera. For my minor, which is Web Development, I am required to take some Communications courses that relate to visuals and media such as Intro to Digital Imaging and Intro to Multimedia. Since there weren’t any of those courses being offered, I substituted them for this internship because I feel that what I do here is along the lines of interpreting and manipulating images, which is similar to the classes that I was required to take. And I feel that the experience that I gain from this internship will give me a better idea of how to manage other forms of media for when I’m building a website.

No comments:

Post a Comment